I am on a mission to use up many of the left over bits and pieces that I have laying around my house before I go out and buy things. I mean, my craft room is getting over run with scraps and pieces of things from prior projects.
I really wanted something turkey related for my front door. I knew I had some mesh left over from some Halloween wreaths I had made. I also knew I had a few other things, but I wasn't quite sure what.
Here is what I found:
I decided that the cornucopia would make a great body for a turkey, the sparkly thing could be the wattle, I was going to figure out how to use one of the gourds for the head, the mesh for the feathers, okay I am getting a good concept going. It was all trial and error from there.
I cut off the top of one gourd and hallowed it out to fit on the top of the cornucopia. I used a sharpie to draw on the eyes and beak. I glued on the wattle and covered up the messiness with a piece of the ribbon. I had to stuff the cornucopia with some mesh and a few of the gourds to balance the weight.
I wired the mesh pieces through the wicker and I also wrapped a piece of twine around the cornucopia and wired that through the wicker to make a loop to hang it.
I have no idea where these sparkly berries came from, but they are the perfect wattle!
I made feet out of pipe cleaners and hot glued those to the bottom.
All in all, I think it's a unique and pretty cool addition to our Thanksgiving decor! It's a bit wide for the space between the front door and storm door, but it's fairly malleable so it just kind squishes to fit.